It has been quite some time since I was here last, mostly because life got busy, and then I got out of the flow of regular posting; so much so, that my fingers felt like lead whenever I tried to type. And while it hasn’t been all THAT long, just some weeks; it felt like I haven’t written in years. SO, I decided it was time to break this unproductive downward spiral, and write this post which I have been meaning to, from a long time.
While growing up, I had always imagined marrying a reader, and in the event I happened to end up with a non-reader, I fully intended to convert him. That was the plan.
As life would have it, I married an avowed non-reader, who would rather spend his time checking out sci-fi movies, listening to music or even watching paint dry. He would pick anything over reading. To be fair, he does read nonfiction, but very rarely, and in any case, that doesn’t count (for me).
However, the original plan of converting the spouse, was never put into action. Mostly because, over the years I have grown to enjoy the several perks that are associated with marrying a non-reader. Yes, surprisingly, there are quite a few. I have listed the top 5. 🙂
- The monthly book budget is all yours, not to mention the complete monopoly over the space on the book shelf.
- Your opinions about books are always right, especially since they are the only ones around.
- They will never judge what you are reading, no matter what the cover looks like (Some covers may earn you amused /puzzled glances, but no judgement 😉 ).
- You have one less thing to argue about. As they don’t read, you cannot have fights over things like – you hated their favorite book or they disliked a fictional character you loved.
- When a book is made into a movie, they cannot annoy you by pausing every 10 mins, and trying to explain the story (and the backstory), whether you want it or not. ( I may or may not do it on occasion. 😛 If HE ever makes a list, this will top it, as the most annoying thing about marrying a reader.)
But it is all good. 🙂 He accepts my love for books, and besides, they are much cheaper than shoes and handbags. 😛 😉
That’s all from my end, folks. I would love to hear from you. Is your significant other a non-reader? Do you love it? Hate it? Do you have any perks to add on to this list? Or are you on the other end of this spectrum? Are you a non-reader married to a reader? What is your favorite/least-favorite part about it?
LIKE THIS POST? PIN IT!