Why do you blog? – It’s a question I have been asked often. And I have answered it multiple times too. Though of-course as time passed my reasons changed and so did my answers.
But recently when I was answering this question (for what seemed like the 100th time) the thing that truly stood out to me was how I could no longer give just one reason as to why I blog. And actually more important was the realization that came with it, that even though I do have a laundry list of reasons as to why I blog, most of it could disappear tomorrow, and I could still never consider giving up blogging completely.
That thought gave me pause. Because honestly when I first started blogging, my blog was a little more than a glorified online journal, meant to mostly dispel boredom. Of-course clearly a lot has changed since then, because even though I am not exactly sure how, blogging has now become an integral part of my life, an extension of myself, and my identity, so to speak.
Why is why the honest, unembellished answer to the titular question is – I blog because I just cannot stop. It’s as simple and as complicated as that.
Of-course there are more layers to this, more specific reasons why blogging gives me so much joy, why & how it is a part of the core of what I want from my life going forward.
So let me take a shot at answering this question here today, to the extent I can anyway. Because I don’t think I’m ever going to be able to articulate all the reasons why I blog, why it completes me in a way I can’t even fully begin to express in the first place.
Why Do You Blog? For Passion or Profit?
Before we even get into this, I want to acknowledge something. I realize a lot of people consider blogging and writing to be very different things. And to an extent I see their point of view, but for me, it’s basically one and the same thing. Considering that the only thing I write is my blog (outside of all my lists of-course). Which is essentially the reason why, the first couple of things I talk about here revolve around why I write as opposed to why I blog.
- So last week I came across a quote/meme on social media, which said – My words sound better coming from my hands than my mouth. That is exactly how it is for me. I am a whole lot better at expressing my thoughts on paper. Which is not to say that I can’t make decent conversation, I can. It’s just that I am more articulate on paper. Which is why, more often than not I choose to write to speak my mind as opposed to literally speak it. 😀
- Moreover, every single time I write, it’s almost like I am unlocking something within myself. I am not sure if I can even explain it right, but almost every time I sit down to write, I gain new perspective, new insight into my own thoughts & feelings, and so in a very weird way, writing helps me connect with myself.
That being said, of-course I don’t necessarily need to share my writing on a public forum (like a blog), because I can find expression and connect with myself even through writing a private journal. But blogging fulfills me in many other ways, some of which I have tried to list down below.
- For one, even though I started blogging mostly to dispel boredom, it’s now my passion, my creative release, and my pet project – all rolled into one. And it’s also a source of constant joy and pride, because hey I built this thing from nothing. And I know it’s not like some huge accomplishment, but it’s equal parts empowering and fulfilling to just know how far I have come in this journey.
- Moreover I met some amazing people through my blog. People whom I possibly wouldn’t have gotten to know without blogging, people who are exceptional and inspiring in so many ways, yet extremely humble, steadfast, and loyal at the same time. People with the kindest hearts & the warmest virtual hugs. These beautiful connections and friendships are also the reason I am super glad I started a blog, and continue to write/blog.
- And finally, I am not sure if I have ever mentioned this here, but I have always wanted to build something of my own instead of working for someone else. And through blogging I feel like I finally have that opportunity now. So it’s something I am planning for and working towards. Of-course these plans are not for Shanaya Tales really. And more importantly, as of now they are just that – plans, which are pending execution.
And yes, I do realize that it’s a long shot, but hey, we should always dream big, right? Because life is too short for being super practical all the time. And anyway, even if it all comes to nothing, I for one, will take solace in the fact that I spent my time working towards something I am passionate about instead of binge-watching Netflix. Not that there is anything wrong with the latter. I’m just hard wired to always have a project that I am working towards. This just happens to be a project that is fueled by my deepest desires.
That’s all from my end, folks. Why do you blog? Has the reason you blog changed and evolved over the years? This is of-course assuming you have been blogging for some time now. But even if you have only recently started blogging, I’d love to hear what made you take the plunge and start a blog. Please do share, and we can chat in the comments!
The #ChattyBlogs Linky: A monthly linky which goes up on the 15th of every month, and is open for 2 weeks.
Here’s how it works:
- Write a chatty/rambly post – it could be a deep, thought-provoking one or even a random ramble. No judgement here.
- At the bottom of your post – add the #ChattyBlogs badge, and link to this post (which hosts the linky) to encourage other bloggers to join in.
- Add your link to the #ChattyBlogs linky.
- Visit and comment on the fellow bloggers’ post in the linky.
Note: I have created a twitter handle for ChattyBlogs & registered the actual hashtag #ChattyBlogs. So, when you do write and link up your posts, please do use the hashtag & I will be sure to RT & share it.
You can also connect via the Chatty Blogs Facebook Page, on which I will be sharing all the posts that are linked up every month.
LIKE THIS POST? PIN IT!